Students' Core Competence
Based on the school development goals in the school develop project, the development goals of our college are set as:
The college trains the students’ professional knowledge and capacity of electrical and computer engineering to enable them to work in the electrical, computer or marine industries after their graduation and contribute to these industries.
In addition to fundamental research in electrical and computer engineering, electrical and computer applications in innovative marine industries, information software, intelligent integrated home care systems, and nanotechnology are regarded as research targets, and research on innovative marine industries, electrical and computer engineering in medicine, and green energy, especially photovoltaics, will be focused.
Integrating Resources and Strengthening Performance
Mid- and Long-term Plans
(They were set up on June 18, 2007. Most of them are accomplished now. The plans for 2012~2016 are under preparation.)
(1) Striding toward teaching excellence, increase e-facilities according to school policies, increasing students’ environment and capability for digital learning, and improving the teaching quality of departments and institutes.
(2) Strengthening existing academic programs, enhancing interdisciplinary teaching teams, and establishing new competitive programs.
(3) Establishing co-teaching laboratories.
(4) Promoting the accreditation of engineering and technology.
(5) A building for electrical and computer engineering and comprehensive teaching
(6) Strengthening the integration of off-campus teaching.
(7) Each department/institute establishes executive Master programs as well as Industrial R&D Master Programs, encourages and guides students to take interdisciplinary courses and increase integrated and diversified knowledge.
(8) Holding visionary industrial-academic lectures on electrical and computer engineering and increasing opportunities for industrial-academic cooperation.
(9) The Institute of Optoelectronic Sciences establishes the Department of Optoelectronic Sciences; the Department of Communications, Navigation and Control Engineering establishes Ph.D. study. Institutes relevant to visionary trends and fields are added.
(10) Cultivating distinguished and visiting professors in electrical and computer engineering.
(1) Research Goals and Directions
The following four fields are regarded as the research goals.
1. 【Electrical and Computer Applications in Innovative Marine Industries】 includes: visionary underwater technology R&D, intelligent mobile navigation systems, the development of marine information systems, vehicle navigation and guidance control, value-added engineering for aquatic systems, underwater wireless networks R&D, off-shore marine environment remote sensing, and bio-chip R&D.
2. 【Information Software】includes: network communication and multimedia, computer network system development, and computer theories and scientific computing.
3. 【Intelligent Integrated Home Care Systems】includes: mobile broadband information, mobile wireless data, wireless sensor network monitoring systems, intelligent multi-target control system R&D, single-chip systems, and micro control systems.
4. 【Nanotechnology】includes: biophotonics, nanoelectronics, green energy, display technology, and nano/micro-opto-electro-mechanical systems
(2) Development Strategies
1. Establishing research teams and research centers, developing characteristic research, and enthusiastically striving for large and integrated research projects.
2. Increasing interaction with industries and the alumni, facilitating opportunities for industrial-academic cooperation, effectively integrating industrial-academic resources, advancing domestic industrial technologies, and strengthening students’ employment competitiveness.
3. Inviting internationally and domestically famous scholars and experts to give lectures, for visits, or to serve as visiting professors, holding domestic and international seminars, enhancing cooperation between domestic and foreign research institutions, and promoting inter-institution and international cooperation.
Education Goals and Development Plans
A college of electrical engineering and computer science characterized by visionary technology and industrial applications.
Possessing scientific and humane dispositions; understanding engineering ethics and social responsibility
1. Possessing internationally competitive capability for applying and innovating professional knowledge of electrical and computer engineering.
2. Capability for planning, designing, and conducting electrical and computer engineering practice or projects
3. Capability for discovering, analyzing, and dealing with problems
4. Capability for coordinating, integrating, and applying teams
5. Understanding the influence of current events and developments relevant to electrical and computer technologies on global industries and people’s livelihood; fostering a habit of continuous learning and capability for social care.
1. Profoundly cultivating students’ professional knowledge and skills of electrical and computer engineering: fully utilizing and integrating the teaching and research resources of each department and institute, advancing academic and industrial-academic interaction both inside and outside the campus, and effectively cultivating students’ fundamental capability and professional knowledge of electrical and computer engineering.
2. Fostering students’ capability for interdisciplinary planning and innovation: coordinating and organizing cross-department/institute/college/university research teams, strengthening R&D capacity and competitiveness, harmonizing with international communication, mastering industrial-academic trends, materializing visionary, innovative R&D, creating excellent a research environment, guiding them to learn and obtain multiple capability for planning and innovation in characteristic marine fields, and facilitating their predominance and capabilities in employment.
3. Increasing students’ humane disposition and sense of social responsibility: corresponding school policies and equipping students with excellent human dispositions, high EQ, and proper concepts of engineering ethics to enable them to have accurate opinions and mobility as well as positive social interaction and generate the sense of social responsibility.
1. Fostering talents competitive in electrical and computer technologies.
2. Forming excellent and innovative teaching features.
3. Developing interdisciplinary research in electrical and computer technologies.
Profoundly cultivating cooperation and communication with electrical and computer industries.